We Love to Read
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorcery and Cecilia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot, by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer

Go down

Sorcery and Cecilia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot, by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer Empty Sorcery and Cecilia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot, by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer

Post by cheri Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 am

This is the first book in a trilogy, and while the second and third books are acceptable, this one is just plain fun. I categorized it here because I didn't really know where else to put it. It's very appropriate for young adults, but genre-wise it's a little fantasy, a little regency, a little romance. The book was written using the letter game, where two writers exchange "letters" using the voices of their respective characters. I really thought it would be a tedious method of story-telling, but ... never underestimate the power of fantastic character voice!

The story follows two teenage cousins, Cecelia and Kate, in what is essentially Regency England, but with magic. They are doing what such characters usually do, attending balls, looking out for husbands, trying to avoid scandal ... but under a great many suspicious circumstances! Odious men lurking in the shrubberies. Disappearing cousins. Missing pearl earbobs. Not to mention a sinister neighbor with a very strange chocolate pot.

I've read this book at least four or five times and it still makes me laugh. The dialog is witty and fun, the prose fits well with the Regency genre, and the characters will make you wish the book was twice as long. If I was using stars I'd say 4.5 out of 5. (I reserve 5 stars for the truly extraordinary. 70-80% of what I read gets 2-3)

cheri

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum